Re: Delorean - Good or Bad?

To: "Mark Noeltner" <mnoeltne@ezl.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean - Good or Bad?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:05:57 -0600
From: Mark Noeltner <mnoeltne@ezl.com>

>I ran across a Delorean here in town and having only read little bits and
>pieces about them, I'm on a fact gathering mission to find out all I can
>about them.
>
>First, as a car, autocrossing not factored in. Are they any good? They look
>neat with the gull-wing doors and the stainless steel body, but how do they
>run and handle?

DeLorean called in Lotus to try to make the car handle well.  Lotus was able
to bring all its talent to bear and was able to bring it all the way up to
not awful.  First problem is that the engine is in the rear, not mid-mounted
as it ought to be.

Of course Colin Chapman and John DeLorean apparently conspired to rip off
the British government.  USA won't extradite John (bet he doesn't take
vacations in Canada!) and Colin was dead, so another guy (Fred Bushnell?)
took the rap and did the jail time.

For more information about these cars, send mail to Mike at
magriese@us.ibm.com

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/