SP/P/M and turbos...was surge tanks etc etc

To: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: SP/P/M and turbos...was surge tanks etc etc
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:19:50 -0600
> You assume that additions to the car (which would be illegal) are
>present that would spin the turbo up while not under load, without that
sort
>of system, the BOV is a zero HP gain.

No such assumption.  I wouldn't even begin to talk about stutter boxes
as they tend to make your motor one of the grenade variety.  I never
said the BOV gave you a HP gain...it gives a performance gain.  Lower
spool up times equates to getting the power down more quickly.  Same
power, you just get there faster.

> Without a BOV, fine..I cant help a handicapped design, but to
>upgrade from a stocker to a larger one, i dont see the real performance
>gain.

Nor do I...which is why I don't understand the urge to 'upgrade' your BOV.

> Allowing any exhaust is a REAL upgrade for a turbo car, not a BOV.

As is the open intake rule.

>By not allowing BOV upgrades (a
>zero real HP upgrade) I see this as a way to restrict badly classed turbo
>cars from -ever- being competative.

Wha?  Not allowing a zero HP gain is a way to restrict the cars from ever
being competitive?  If you're going to change things on your car just to
play, just go play and don't worry about what class you are in.  If you are
going to win, spend the money you save by not doing a 'zero HP mod' on
some worthwhile upgrades.

> Im running 8psi stock on a stock turbo.  The stock turbo is capable
>of 17psi easy.  I install a $2000 turbo, and run it at sock boost.  Why
does
>it move me from P to MOD?

I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but as long as you run the
restrictor,
isn't the turbo fairly open in P?  To answer your question....8psi on T04E
moves
about twice the air of a CT-26 at 10psi.  My opinion is that the stock
turbo,
running the stock wheels in the housing, should be open in SP.  Of course,
since
we can't even run an FCD, I know that won't happen.

> No, a regular old celica, two-wheel-drive.  Not a single
>modification other than bolting on a turbo.

Uh...wouldn't that be the definition of modified?  Again, this is the 'I
built the car
because it was fun' argument.  You're asking the SEB to pass rules that will
cover EVERY modification that you can make.  With the number of different
turbos available to bolt onto a car, forget it.

> What region are you in?  maybe we'll catch each other this year.

Gulf Coast, but I also run with Dixie and Wiregrass.

> Ive retired the Supra from ESP, only because it couldnt possibly be
>classed any worse.  In a straight line it'll eat up anything in the class,
>but take your foot off the gas then turn a corner...no way.

You didn't mention which gen Supra you have.  I guess it's not a MKIV
because those have been proven to do fairly well in ESP (before the FCD
ruling).

> Ive decided to chase down some AS competition in the VR4 this year.

3000GT?  Wow...you like them big cars!   :)

David Hawkins
93 MR2T
85 MR2