1999 Convention - #4

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1999 Convention - #4
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:32:18 -0500 (EST)
This is the fourth in a series of my notes from the Convention.
Thanks for allowing me the bandwidth ...

** Disclaimer Alert **
Please understand these are the things I thought were important (or were
able to jot down as the conversation progressed) and these are just MY
opinion. Additional comments are included in brackets [].

If you wish to excerpt from them, you may. Please give proper credit and I
request a copy of your publication which contains the information. Reply
via private e-mail and I'll send my snail mail address. Thanks!
** End of Disclaimer ** <g>

A couple of more public thank yous are in order -- First off, thanks to
Bill Chambres who is the National Administrator for Conventions. Bill has
been a tremendous asset to the club when it comes to conventions. Bill is
most generally found behind the scenes, but it is his hard work that makes
Fred Slick seem organized! (What a tough job <gd&r>!) Remember if your
region is hosting a Roundtable or MiniConvention, he is available to help
out.

Secondly, thanks to Phil Clark of the San Diego Region who arranged for a
fantastic visit to SeaWorld. The Shamu show was breathtaking, and you just
haven't lived on the edge until you've seen Howard Duncan doing "air-backup
singing". Not to mention New England RE Dick Patullo and his "air guitar".
What great memories!

Now to the Annual Awards Banquet ... I've included the award descriptions,
as sometimes it is easy to forget what the awards represent. These are
probably out of presentation order, once again I used the convention "book"
to keep notes in. I'll start from the back and work my way forward.

Nick Craw began the evening with a special presentation for outgoing Area
10 direction, Bill Bradshaw. And Fred Slick presented appreciation awards
to Marge Binks and Phil Clark for their work on the convention.

Tom Burke Memorial Award - Presented by the SCCA Chairman of the Board and
the National Membership Administrator for the most improved membership from
the previous year by a region.
  Winner: Western Michigan Region

Jim Fitzgerald Award - Presented to a competition driver showing great
promise based on driving ability demonstrated during the year he/she first
obtained their National license. Selected by the Competition Board, based
on nominations submitted by the Executive Stewards.
  Winners: Robert Sak & Mark Dismore
  [I believe both finished on the podium at the RunOffs, Sak in SRF and
Dismore in FC.]

Dr. George G. Snively Memorial Award - Originally presented by the San
Francisco Region unti 1988. Presented for outstanding contributions to
safety in motorsports.
  Winner: Alan Wilson
  [I sat at the table next to Alan, and he was genuinely surprised at his
winning this award. He presented a seminar on Tire Barriers on Saturday.]

David Morrell Memorial Award - This award is presented to encourage
continued participation in the Steward's Program by recognition of an
active National Chief Steward who has exhibited outstanding performance,
dedication to the sport while adhering to the highest principles. Selected
by the Director of Stewards and the Executive Stewards.
  Winner: George Fetzer, Northeast Division
  [Sadly this was a post-humous award. Marge Binks did a wonderful job
presenting this award in a very emotional situation. George's best friend,
Bill Bradshaw accepted on his behalf.]

Tom McKean Award - This award is given to an SCCA member for a single,
outstanding act of sportsmanship involving self-sacrifice. Not awarded
every year.
  Winner: Henry Joy (for sharing his PRORally car with another competitor)

Kimberly Cup - Awarded to the SCCA driver who has shown the greatest
improvement in the past year. The Competition Board selects the winner.
  Winner: Rob Hines (Washington DC Region) [son of proud W2W'er Bob Hines]

Martin W. Tanner Award - First presented in 1963 to "an SCCA worker who
displays unusual courage while exposed to danger." The Competition Board
chooses the winner. Not awarded every year.
  Winner: Phil Kane (Florida Region)
  [Sadly, this too was a post-humous award. Phil managed to push another
worker to safety when a Corvette hit their corner bunker. The driver was
killed and Phil passed away about a month after the accident. His ex-wife
and children were on hand to accept the award in his behalf.]

President's Cup - Presented to the driver demonstrating ability,
competitiveness, and success at the National Championship RunOffs(R).
Selected by the Stewards of the Meeting and the Chief Steward of the
National Championship RunOffs(R).
  Winner: Brad Stout (St. Louis Region)
  [In talking to Brad afterwards, he realized he'd forgotten to thank his
wife for supporting his racing. Fortunately, Valentine's Day was Sunday, so
he had a chance to redeem himself.]

Carl Haas Cup - SCCA's highest award (formerly the Woolf Barnato Trophy)
presented to the member who has made the most outstanding long-term
contribution. Nominated by the last three recipients of the award and
approved by the Board of Directors.
  Winner: Bill Bradshaw

Stay tuned, as the final chapter will summarize Peter Hylton's informative
two seminars on the SCCA Archives.

Kelley Huxtable
Des Moines Valley Region
"Worker Bee"