Surge tanks and motor mounts, why not?

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Surge tanks and motor mounts, why not?
From: Doug Chase <dougcha@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:14:22 -0800
I read through the re-wording of the fuel related SP rules in this month's
FasTrack and they seem to be written in such a way as to make "surge tanks"
(like the RX3 thread after Nationals) illegal.  My question is:  Why?  A
surge tank is not a device for enhancing performance, it is a device
designed to eliminate losing performance.  There is a difference.

Could it be because the cars are already classed with this achilles heel in
mind and allowing somebody to fix it would upset the current classing
structure?  No way.  This is the type of problem that you don't encounter
until you start racing.  Nobody can convince me that cars exhibiting this
problem are well known and classed accordingly.

Could it be because if this is legal then everybody will have to have one
and that will increase costs?  No way.  Like I said above, this is not a
performance enhancing device.  Only the people that have a problem that
needs to be fixed will have to do this.  As for cost, the class already
allows you to upgrade fuel lines to 1/2" braided steel, and it allows you to
add aftermarket fuel injection to previously carburated cars.

If somebody can tell me a legitimate reason for disallowing this, I'd love
to hear it.  Note that I don't have a dog in this fight as I run in CS.

Along the same lines, why not allow aftermarket motor mounts?  Lots of cars
eat stock motor mounts when raced.  Why not let everybody change them?

Because it's a performance advantage?  So what?  It's gotta be a small gain
at best.

Because then everyone will have to do it?  No they won't.  It's a small
gain.  Just let them replace them with whatever they want when the stock
ones wear out.

Because it would be hard to write a rule discerning what's legal from what
isn't?  Don't worry about it.  Write it like "completely free but
maintaining the stock attachment points" and then let people run solid metal
motor mounts if they want.

Because all cars may not have access to aftermarket motor mounts?  Well,
life isn't fair.  MR2 drivers in my class have their choice of three
adjustable shocks (Koni, GAB, Tokiko).  My Fiero has a choice of one (Koni).
Heck, I don't even have access to a lot of STOCK parts on my car
(discontinued).  I just accept this as the price I pay to run the car I
love.

These are serious questions.  If you have answers or a better solution, I'm
open to it.  Just Cc: me on the reply as I'm on digest mode.

Doug "no relation to Randy" Chase
Everett, WA
'88 Fiero Formula 5-spd (autocrosser)
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd (bent, needs ride to Huntsville, AL)
'85 Fiero GT 4-spd (future Pro Rally car)
'89 Sunbird GT Turbo Convertible