RE: SpeedBleeders- stock legal?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SpeedBleeders- stock legal?
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:35:56 -0600
>     As a "one-man racing team," I feel the SpeedBleeders
> are a definite
> _convenience_ item, and NOT a performance enhancement. It

Hasn't "convenience" been ruled to be only for areas that are not
related to performance or adjusting a car for performance?  I think
that the garage door opener buried in my dash fits the convenience
rule but adding holes in the body to make adjusting struts easier has
been ruled illegal.

> can be very IN-
> convenient to have to go find someone whom you can drag
> away from changing
> their tires/setting up their own car/walking the course at
> an event, or
> drafting a neighbor/friend to come over to the house, to
> "pump 'em up" for
> you.

I do it by myself without leaving any parts on my car other than the
stock bleeders or using any "fancy" equipment.

I attach a piece of clear tubing over the nipple on the bleeder and
hang it so that it runs uphill from the caliper (also the clutch
cylinder on my car).

I then open the bleeder slightly.  There is a small, but easy to find
range, where the pressure from the pressure from the brake/clutch
pedal will push the fluid past the barely open bleeder but the slight
suction when you release it will not pull the fluid in the tube back.

> bled. Period. There is _no_ resulting performance
> difference between the two
> methods.

There would be if this allowed you to bleed them (even though the
desire is not likely) more quickly at an event.  Isn't that the behind
not being allowed to make holes in the car to make shock adjustment
easier?

I agree with Phil that protesting someone for this reason would be the
action of a real wienie, but by the letter of the rules it would be a
violation.

Maybe you need to have the company give someone (who will not be
competitive at the next nationals) a set so that the wienie protest
can be filed and force a clarification.