Re: Type R availability

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Type R availability
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:19:39 -0800 (PST)
I'll make my stab at this, perhaps I can elucidate more clearly.  my only
stake in this is to see the dread Type R thread die.

1.  The 1,000 units in a model year argument holds no water.  This has
been outlined several times by people who have even been so kind as to
cite the page number in the rulebook where this ruling is explained.  I
will not state it here since that appears to be a fruitless endeavor.

2.  The car may be misclassed, it may not be misclassed.  I personally
don't care.  Instead of posting and re-posting the same argument over and
over again (does this remind anyone else of a grammer school debate?),
let's see some constructive arguments. A few have been made.  An example
of one (I don't agree or disagree) was that the Integra, as a car, does
not fit the aesthetic of GS.

Since there is obviously not enough data yet to show that the Type R is
such a vicious overdog, why continue this argument?  It is obviously a
popular car, and is quite readily available.  If the Type R helps our
sports grow, why relegate it to a place where it will not be
competitive(CSP)?

Let's look at one of the more heavily subscribed classes in Solo shall
we?  B Stock is pretty much considered Miata-land, no one disputes
this.  The conventional wisdom is that if you don't have an R package or
Sport package Miata you are not going to be competitive.  There are
stories of folks driving non-R Miatas winning trophies, but I think that
is so rare as to be akin to urban legend.

Here's the kicker.  Total production of R model Miatas from '94 to '97
(there was no '98 Miata) was:   1841 units.

Yes, that's it.  Last year I purchased one of the 111 R package Miatas
made in '96.  There were 47 R package Miatas made in '97.  The '96+ Miatae
have a slightly improved lsd and a smidge more power than the '94 and '95
versions.

So, if B Stock has survived for so long with just 1841 cars in the whole
entire world eligible to compete competitively, doesn't it seem just a
smidge silly to be wringing our hands over the Type R being a "limited
production" car?

Bret Dodson
'super, ultra rare, better watch out  'cuz it's so speacial '96 Miata R
Seattle, WA (yes, as a matter of fact, it IS raining)