Re: Street Touring rules evolution question

To: whitney <whitneys@mindspring.com>, Dave Hillman <hillman@enteract.com>,
Subject: Re: Street Touring rules evolution question
From: Vince Bly <Vince.Bly@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 19:53:35 -0500
At 11:31 AM 2/4/99 -0800, whitney wrote:
>The car should be legal, as there is no FWD/RWD stipulation - in fact, I
>know a 318is has been run in ST.
>
>As for the tires, as long as they meet the treadwear rating and have
>escaped the exclusion list...they'll be legal until the get 'added' to the
>list!
>
>Stan Whitney
>

>At 11:05 AM 2/4/99 -0600, Dave Hillman wrote:
>>
>>   The most recent Street Touring rules at Jerry Mouton's great site
>>( http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/street_touring_rules.html ) indicate
>>that "No limited slip differentials, except for factory viscous coupler
>>type units" are legal, in Section 18.a.
>>
>>   That was the last hurdle, AFAIK, to the legalization of our 1995 Nissan
>>240SX SE in Street Touring.
>>
>>   I can find nothing else in the rules which would exclude it, other than

The change to allow OEW viscous coupler LSDs specifically allows the Nissan
SE-R to run in Street Touring.  This is per Howard Duncan within the last
few weeks.  Although this almost certainly pertains to the 240SX SE, before
you invest in the car it wouldn't hurt to check with Howard directly.  The
normal and Torsen LSDs are not allowed, so the Integra Type R is definitely
not legal for ST, again per recent conversation with Howard.

As far as tire treadwear ratings go, I have waged a successful campaign to
have the limit lowered from 160 to 140.  The change to 140 treadwear for ST
should be announced in FastTrack in the next issue of Sports Car.  Although
R type tires are all lower than this, many Ultra and Max perfomance street
tires will soon be legal!  These include the:
Bridgestone Expedia S-01, Potensia S-02, and Potensia RE20;
Firestone Firehawk SZ
Michelin Pilot SX MXX3, MXX3, and MXX2;
Pirelli P Zero System Asimmetrico & Direzional and P700Z
and a few others.

                                                                        Vince
Bly