Re: diamond star motors in g-stock

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: diamond star motors in g-stock
From: bluemr2@juno.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:33:03 -0500
        I hadn't heard of that until a couple weeks ago...  No wonder my friend
with an ES Eclipse didn't want to rev it up...  Just TRY turning the
wheel for that tight 1st gear corner @ 6000 rpms!!!  Very poor
engineering... (unless you're a drag racer) :-)

Brian
'91 MR2 4em w/ EHPS that turns well at any RPM/speed combination

Secondly, the pre-95 has this funny engine-RPM-speed-determined
variable-effort, variable-ratio power steering system. Once you get
over about 3500 RPM the steering effort spikes, and at the same time
it takes more steering wheel travel to get the same amount of steer
angle. I discovered this little "feature" in the middle of a
medium-speed slalom. Imagine my suprise when I had to turn the wheel
progressively more and more to negotiate the same turns, the effort to
do so increasing all the while! It was impossible to stay ahead of the
steering, so the turns got later and wider the deeper into the slalom
you got. Yick.