Re: Road Racers vs Autocrossers

To: dvickrey@camelbackra.com
Subject: Re: Road Racers vs Autocrossers
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 14:12:42 -0700
Don,
    No offense taken...the pregnancy remark did bring over an aura of common
sense for me at least. When I was driving the smallest, lightest car on the
track, it began to dawn on me that I was very vulnerable to someone else's
errors. (Never mine, of course :-) ).
    I vowed I wouldn't race again unless I was in a fully protected caged car
with lots of driver protection...and haven't been back.
    Another factor that deters folks from racing is the high cost, probably not
mile for mile on the track, but outlay from the pocketbook. One can stretch a
dollar longer while enjoying driving hard at autocrosses than road racing. The
life of road racers averages around 3-4 years; autocrossers last much longer, I
would bet, tho I don't have the numbers on that.
--Pat Kelly