autox-cm

Re: considering an FF

To: gduncan2@comcast.net
Subject: Re: considering an FF
From: Don55CM@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:40:37 EST
In a message dated 12/13/2004 9:36:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gduncan2@comcast.net writes:

So, I'm  hoping to get some advise on any specifics that I should ask
and/or look  for when checking out the car. I'm assuming that since the
car has been  sitting for so long that it should be completely gone
through with all  rubber parts replaced with fresh?

Greg,

It wouldn't be a bad idea to flush out the old fluid and put seal kits  in
the calipers, master and clutch slave cylinders.  But after 9 years  I'd be
more
concerned about corrosion (cylinder bores, shock shafts, needle  bearings,
brake calipers, radiators).  Did the crash damage the  frame?  Are the brake
rotors straight?  Has the car run since the  wreck, or is it in boxes?  Have
mice
been teething on the wiring  harness?  It sounds like it ran for 8 or 9 years
before it was  parked.  Are all the pivot points tight, CV joints smooth and
free from  slack, shift linkage in good shape?  You can put a lot of money
into a car  that runs, just fixing all the worn out parts.  And since you're
converting  it from road racer to autocrosser, count on buying four gear sets
and
two dog  rings (although if the old gears are in good shape you might be able
to use 1st  as 4th).  Also be sure to inspect the ring and pinion through the
fill  plug.  If it's ever been run low on gear oil, that's an $1100 repair
bill.

Good luck, and welcome to the class!
Don Elzinga