Re: [Alpines] electric fuel pump

To: "'Bill Mounce'" <bmounce@rcn.com>, "'Alpine Discussion List'"
Subject: Re: [Alpines] electric fuel pump
From: "Ross" <ross_hulse@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 22:02:02 -0700
Bill,

I have done this and have regretted doing the modification.

Here is my reasoning.

First the required pressure is around 1.5 psi and most pumps will have much
more than that and so require a regulator.  Cheap regulators simply will not
last in the Alpine engine bay environment.

So, second you will need to buy a much more expensive setup.  As long as the
pump is below the level of the tank it will work just fine. The location you
mentioned is the same place I installed mine.

Third, the reason I went back is because the original pump is easily rebuilt
and is much more durable and after 3 regulators I was tired of failures and
gas leaking on the manifold. This happens because tanks on the Alpine are
pressurized by temperature.  The vent in the gas cap only lets air in not
out so as the tank warms the gas fumes expand and instant pressure. And
"most" electrical pumps do not have a cut off valve when the pump is not
actuated. So, you can, on a hot day have gas leaking over the float bowl and
onto the exhaust manifold?  FIRE can happen.  Check out the pictures.

Take your old pump apart (very easy to do) and clean the parts well.
Install a new diaphragm and new valves (don't forget to stake them in) and
viola you have a new mechanical pump good for another 40 years.

And carry a fire extinguisher.

Ross "Commodore Blues" Hulse

Subject: [Alpines] electric fuel pump

Hello all

I am considering changing to an electric fuel pump on my SV.  Ideally I
would like to locate it where the mechanical pump currently is, blanking off
the existing hole to insure it is oil tight, and using that blanking plate
to mount the new pump.  A friend noted most electric fuel pumps like to be
back closer to the fuel tanks.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Any
thoughts?  I run the single Weber conversion rather than the two Stroms.

Thanks,

Bill Mounce

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Fire
2.JPG]

Before Fire A.jpg]

Before Fire B.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Fire
1.jpg]