Re: SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

To: Pasanville@aol.com
Subject: Re: SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
From: Ron Tebo <mrtebo@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 05:24:37 -0700
Peter:

Here is something from my archive, courtesy of Tom Wiencek, that may
help with the turn signals. Also, I think SS and Tiger Tom sell a switch
repair kit that was originally developed by Gary Schotland. I'll look
for more.

Ron Tebo

Tech Tip this week is from Leroy Nagata - Thanks Leroy

My turn signal indicators were not working.  After messing around I
found out that I had a bad ground.  Actually when I bought the car the
indicators were not working so maybe it was bad when I bought it.
However only one side was functioning.  I tried to get a "universal"
directional indicator relay unit at the local auto parts store, but they
told me to go to a stereo shop for the kind or relay I was looking for.
I went home and drilled out the spot welds on the relay cover.  Upon
inspection I found that the relay points were not accurately set (one
was very low) so I carefully bend the points upwards (did they do this
kind of adjustments at the Lucas factory?).  I put everything back, and
I still had only one side functioning.  I took everything apart again
and I found one of the coil leads had been broken (looks like at the
factory when the cover for this unit was put on it broke the
wire.....don't they test these things at the factory?).  Well that
broken strand was a!
bout as thick as a baby's hair, but I somehow managed to solder it (I
used to fix the instrumentation on Nuke subs so I do have some soldering
background).

Putting everything back together I was extremely confident that I had it
fixed.   And, Wow, it worked perfectly.  Now all I had to do was install
the relay on the firewall making sure that the unit was grounded.  After
"expertly" installing the relay, I gave it the final Op test....and it
didn't work!  What had happened was that the terminals got grounded when
I tightened the box down (this unit was engineered to fail).  I took
everything apart again and installed spacers between the firewall and
the relay unit.  Now it works as it should.