Re: Good Old Lucas

To: "Jan Eyerman" <jan.eyerman@usa.net>, "kkj" <kkj@privat.utfors.se>,
Subject: Re: Good Old Lucas
From: "Paul Tring" <paultring@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:24:30 +0100
We can only draw conclusions from our own experiences but 40 year old coils
/ starters are entitled to be feeling their age. I worked on British cars
day in and day out for over twenty years and I can honestly say Lucas coils
were no worse than any others, in fact I replaced more Ford " Autolite"
coils than Lucas. We can all criticise different manufacturers and Delco
distributors as fitted to Vauxhall cars in the seventies were appalling. The
dwell variation had to be seen to be believed and I remember fitting a brand
new one which was worse than the one it was replacing , you could be
forgiven for thinking you were looking at a rev counter!!
I concede that Lucas "bullet" connectors were a major source of bad
connections (Japanese cars used a similar connector on their cars) but I
found Lucas starters, dynamos etc to be reliable and the majority of
charging faults were due to the voltage regulator but even these could be
adjusted or replaced very cheaply under the Lucas exchange scheme.
I don't know the reason for Jaguar going over to Bosch ( I suspect it was
supply problems or the choice of engine management systems)  but Ford also
fitted Bosch equipment in preference to Autolite (or Motorcraft).
Paul