OFF TOPIC Round-abouts

To: <JACranwell@aol.com>, <TIGEROOTES@aol.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: OFF TOPIC Round-abouts
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:27:51 -0500
New York State had them back in the 1920's, but I am sure they were around
earlier.  Anyone remember the "Hawthorne Circle" in Westchester?  By the early
1950's New Jersey had dozens throughout the state.  In those days they were
the ultimate in modern highways!  They were the "cloverleaf" interchange of
the era.

Ironically, New Jersey is replacing them with traffic light controlled
intersections which are actually a step backward.... but are cheap.  The best
idea I saw was in Seoul, South Korea thirty years ago. They had elevated
traffic circles at all major intersections-so at ground level you had a
regular traffic light intersection, but above you had a circle.  That system
would double the number of vehicles you could move through the intersection.
Very, very smart (just what I would expect of the Koreans, a very intelligent
bunch).

Jan Eyerman

JACranwell@aol.com wrote:
Jim,

I hate to admit this, but your road circles are yet another British
invention. We call them 'roundabouts', and we've had them here for at least
60 years.

Not to put too fine a point on it, they're a bloody nuisance.

Julian.