Re: Early Alpine ('53-55) Shifting

To: "Kevin McLemore" <kmclemore@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Early Alpine ('53-55) Shifting
From: "Peter Noonan" <peter.noonan@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:04:13 +1300
... must have been made by the same bunch of back-garden engineers

Rootes had this column linkage developed by Piper Aircraft Co
Perhaps this was where the "fly-by-wire" term came from?

My observations are that many so-called "drivers" can't change anything, not
even their outlook.

The 49 on Hillman Minx models had a spare dash square for an accessory
instrument such as ammeter clock or temperature gauge. You could select but
one option.
Initially, until an option was taken, the window had a Rootes badge, but
that badge was soon replaced with a gear change diagram.

A roadmap on the dash of where to push the lever.
Wow, how things have changed.

Peter