Bad Carbs

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad Carbs
From: Brent Kasl <kasl100@navix.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 16:06:46 -0500
We have had problems for months with my sons S5. Once started and
driven, it begins to run rough as if on only 1-2 cylinders. Today we did
several tests and eliminated the electrical side. We are now focusing on
the twin Stromberg carbs. Can I assume the front carb flows the 1+2
cylinders, and the back carb  the 3+4 cylinders? If this is the case,
the front carn may be bad, as the 1+2 bank of cylinders is lacking
power. I am thinking a float problem or leak not allowing fuel to mix
once the car is warmed up and under load. I replaced the fuel pump and
noticed alot of debris inside, which may have passed into the front carb
float or jet. Any ideas? Brent