Re: 1961 Tiger

To: "Jarrid Gross" <JGross@econolite.com>,
Subject: Re: 1961 Tiger
From: "Jon A." <humbersnipe@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 22:45:50 -0500
I found just such a car in a junkyard in New Jersey. A Goliath Tiger.
Shocked the cr@p out of me as I was walking along, and suddenly on top of an
old van I spied a quarter panel with "Tiger" on it! Front wheel drive? Beam
rear axle? That's no Tiger I'd ever heard of!

The yard is near Fort Dix, NJ, and as of about 3 years ago, hadn't been
"cleaned out" like so many junkyards are today. There were remnants of cars
in there going back to the 1930s! But the interesting bits were the foreign
cars brought back by the servicemen. Once the cars broke down, and they
couldn't get parts or service over here, the cars were unceremoniously
scrapped. There were Borgwards, Goliaths, Panhards, DKWs, Toyopets, Opels,
Skodas, even a Minx, an Alpine, and an Imp.  About 6 Metropolitans and even
a dozen or so Corvairs rounded out the best part of the yard. I bought the
whole Alpine as a parts car - it had a full-synchro OD in it! Shoulda bought
the Imp, too, but I'm stupid sometimes. Missed out on a 1965 Studebaker
sliding roof station wagon in that same yard by waiting a week and "thinking
it over".

Oh, for the old days, before the phrase "Automotive Recycling Center" was
ever invented.....

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE   USA