Re: [Re: [Overdrive installation]]

To: "Tim Stiffy" <tstiffy@pulsenet.com>, "Jan Eyerman"
Subject: Re: [Re: [Overdrive installation]]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:33:53 -0500
Tim,

I am sorry, I am assuming a lot.  You have to disconnect the radiator hoses,
disconnect the exhaust pipe, disconnect the throttle linkage.  I also remove
all of the electrical connections to the engine and loosen the bolts on the
engine mounts and disconnect the choke cable and remove the clutch cylinder
(but leave the hydraulic line connected) (also remove the gearshift lever,
boots, etc.).  Then I support the rear of the trans and tilt the whole mess
down.  The reason you need the alignment studs to reassmble is that you the
engine has to be tilted down (at the rear)to push the trans up and forward.  I
have found that this is almost impossible to do without the alignment studs. I
also raise the REAR of the car rather then the front to work under the car.
This keeps the movement of the trans more level.

Of course you've drained the anti-freeze, engine oil and trans oil before you
started!

Jan
(who has gotten a number of oil baths!!!)

"Tim Stiffy" <tstiffy@pulsenet.com> wrote:
To remove the transmission from the Alpine, do you need to tip the engine
backward for clearance? I'm replacing my tranny next month.

Tim