Re: Timing Chain

To: Jason Raser <jasonraser@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Timing Chain
From: jumpinjan <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:46:31 -0800
Jason Raser wrote:

> I installed a new timing chain on my SII a couple
> weeks ago and just fired it up this weekend.
>
> It has never started that easily.  I was very
> impressed at first.  But then I put a timing light on
> it and got wierd results.  The light lit up
> intermittently so I assumed the timing light was bad
> and moved on.  I figured that since it was static
> timed that I was okay.

Jason, your really need to set the timing. I have seen some older timing
lights fire their strobe light intermittently, and that is not really a
determent. It sounds like the engine is too far advanced. Actually, the
first thing that I do on a rebuilt engine is to set the timing. You
really need to do that first, then adjust the carbs.
jan
--