Stopping oil leaks

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stopping oil leaks
From: ellis838@concentric.net
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:44:44 -0500
  I would like to make this next engine leak as little oil as possible.
There was a thread on making an aluminum side cover which I am going to
try. Anyone have suggestions on the oil pan, those cork end gaskets are
a pain. I had the best luck on a set I installed with no sealer of any
kind. Used black sealer pretty much all over another set and the thing
leaks like a sieve. Is it just me or are these end gaskets too long,
should you stuff them in or trim them down to size. Will be using an
aluminum pan on this engine. On to the timing cover, would like to stay
with a stock type seal any suggestions. Looking through my pile of parts
I have at least two different types of covers as far as the round oil
slinger [?] thing goes, one has a rubber O ring and a lip it fits behind
the other one did not have the O ring [maybe it should have?] and there
is not a lip. The round slinger is slightly different on both. I think
the second one of these covers is from a 1969 GT block. Thanks for any
suggestions.  Jim