Re: [Re: Help me decide!!]

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, "Bill Blue"
Subject: Re: [Re: Help me decide!!]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 24 Dec 2001 16:33:24 EST
I believe that we are talking about critical components in aircraft, space
vehicles and racing cars.  I don't think that chrome plating would have any
measureable effects on door handles, trim pieces, air cleaners or manifolds.
I don't think I would chrome plate a front suspension arm though.

However, it is interesting that M16 rifles have chrome plated bores and
chambers.  Since these are subjected to 50,000 PSI every time they are fired,
maybe the gun makers use some different method of plating them.

Jan Eyerman
CPT USAR Ordnance Corps, retired

"DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com> wrote:
Bill, all. I used the message to add some thoughts of my own, not picking on
anyone...just an easy place to reply...

This is an interesting thread. I surfed a bit using Google and found this:

"Hydrogen Embrittlement
High strength steel, such as quenched and tempered steels or precipitation
hardened steels are particularly susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement.
Hydrogen can be introduced into the material in service or during materials
processing.

Hydrogen Embrittlement Failures
Tensile stresses, susceptible material, and the presence of hydrogen are
necessary to cause hydrogen embrittlement.  Residual stresses or externally
applied loads resulting in stresses significantly below yield stresses can
cause cracking.  Thus, catastrophic failure can occur without significant
deformation or obvious deterioration of the component.

Very small amounts of hydrogen can cause hydrogen embrittlement in high
strength steels.  Common causes of hydrogen embrittlement are pickling,
electroplating and welding, however hydrogen embrittlement is not limited to
these processes.

Hydrogen embrittlement is an insidious type of failure as it can occur
without an externally applied load or at loads significantly below yield
stress.  While high strength steels are the most common case of hydrogen
embrittlement all materials are susceptible. "

>From the above, it would appear that electroplating does indeed cause
hydrogen embrittlement. Anothe paper I scanned said that the hydrogen comes
from the cleaning process used in plating: that it comes from the acid
solution used to clean the parts. Then the parts are plated over entrapping
the hydrogen. Additionally failures are accelerated when the materials are
put into tensile stress (spokes).  I remember as an engineer using high
strength materials that we had to specify that parts be baked for quite some
long periods to remove hydrogen to prevent stress failures.

hope this helps to clear the air...

mayf, the red necked ignorant desert rat and hooligan in Pahrump