Re: [Re: Valve Seals]

To: "jumpinjan" <servaij@cris.com>, Brent Kasl <kasl100@navix.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: Valve Seals]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 4 Dec 2001 14:02:05 EST
Please forgive my ignorance on this, but wouldn't bronze guides be a possible
answer?  I believe I used them back in my racing days (about 40 years ago with
a small block Chevy) and I seem to remember that they didn't need the
lubrication that regular guides needed.  I also seem to remember that they
were expensive.

Jan Eyerman
(whose grown children tease him by asking "What was it like to hunt Wooley
Mammoths, Dad?")

"jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com> wrote:
Brent,
        I wouldn't put any more seals on an Alpine engine because the valve
guides wear out enough with the oil that they get now. Any less and they
will wear very fast. Actually, I was thinking about an experiment to see
what the engine will do WITHOUT the valve seals. The idea is to get more
oil to the new (not used) guides, so they can last a little longer.
Jan
--