Gear Slippage

To: "Alpine MailList" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear Slippage
From: "Bill Laucher" <blaucher@houston.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:44:26 -0500
I am writing to the list for the first time.  I really enjoy reading all the
comments and am learning a lot about my '64 Series IV which I acquired from
my father over a year ago.  It was his "project" for the 30 years he owned
it, and he tried to keep original equipment as much as possible.  I will
probably have an on-going series of questions for the veterans and look
forward to the dialogue.

My first concerns the 4-speed transmission.  I'm sure it is the original
one.  It is difficult to get it into first gear after stopping.  Once it is
idling, I either have to double clutch or go into second gear first.  Only
then will it slide into first.  Also, when driving at steady speed in third
gear in town, it slips out of gear into neutral.  What's the problem and how
do I fix it?  I have rebuilt two engines in the past, but have never done
transmission work.

Bill Laucher
Houston, TX