RE: Computer fans

To: lauri lehtinen <lauri@lorenzo.pp.fi>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Computer fans
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:58:33 -0700
Larry,

The flow output of 10 of these fans probably isnt enough to
cool your alpine.

If you believe that 20 km/h is enough rolling velocity to cool
your car under your climatic conditions, bare in mind that this
is across the entire cross section of your radiator (more or less).

If you consider that your radiator has about 2.5 sqr ft area, with
a flow velocity of 20 km/h (1091 ft/min), the approximate flow rate
would be around 2700 SCFM.  You may be lucky enough to find the
specified flow rate on those fans, but I seriously doubt that each one
could put out 270 SCFM.  In reality I think 1000 SCFM would be
sufficient to cool your alpine.

Ive seen some fair sized fans for cooling available with capacities
over 1500 SCFM,  but these will run between 50 and 100 watts at full
load.   BTW, 100w is only 1/3 HP to the alternator.

Many 80s 5 series BMWs have a nice pusher fan between the bumper and
the radiator that would likely be upt ot the task.

Good luck,

Jarrid Gross