Re: Gear Ratios

To: Robert Wiseman <robman@telocity.com>
Subject: Re: Gear Ratios
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:01:34 +1100
Robert

One easy way is to
1  Jack the car up,
2 put a chalk mark on the tailshaft/diff
3 put a chalkmark on the tire/ground
4 spin the wheel and compare the number of turns: Wheel to tailshaft.  This
appears a bit imprecise, but you will have a either 3.89 or a 4.22 rear axle -
One spin of the wheel will turn the tailshaft either just under 4 times or a
little more than 4 times.  Do it a few times to make sure.

Cheers

Vic