Re: oil

To: rgibbs@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: oil
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 09:20:56 -0600
   Which rather enters into one of my pet peeves regarding pollution
measurements - WHY do they measure exhaust emissions in part-per-million
instead of parts-per-MILE????

   Suppose you have an SUV (Stupid Utility Vehicle) running down the
interstate getting 12 mpg. It meets the emissions standards set by the
government. Next to him is an economy car getting 50 mpg. It meets those
same standards. Which is polluting more? The one that's huffing and puffing
4 times more air and fuel through it to travel the same distance! Four times
as much fuel used means four times as much exhaust!

Jon Arzt