RE: Lifters for Series V Alpine, 2/3 the height of stock, less we

To: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Lifters for Series V Alpine, 2/3 the height of stock, less we
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:02:01 -0700
Steve Silverstein wrote,

>I have a new set of lifters for my Series V which have been cut down in
>height, roughly 2/3 as tall as stock.  They came with the race car.
>
>Has anybody run a set of lifters like this?  The notes on the engine state
>that the lifters were lightened by 30%.  I suppose these would work.  Are
>there any drawbacks to using these?

Cutting the top third off the lifter wont lighten it by 30%.
The mass of the lifter is concentrated at the cam end.
No major drawbacks, but the shorted lifter will promote faster
bore wear, and bore "barreling".

>Also, does anybody run Aluminum Valve retainers?  I have a set of NOS for
>the race car but the machine shop I have work done really thinks I should
>steer clear of the aluminum retainers.  I guess they had bad luck on a
Chevy
>motor or two...

I cant comment on aluminum keepers, but I had a set of titanium keepers
cut down to the spring size of the alpine.

Also, there are lighter springs available, as well as lighter valves.
With the spring mass reduction you only get to keep half the mass
difference,
but with lighter valves and retainers you keep all the mass difference.

On my hipo alpine head, I was able to reduce the sprung mass by over 20%.

In plain english, by reducing the sprung valve-train mass by 20%, one
can reduce the spring load by 20%(all things the same).
OR
The RPM at which the valves float will be 20% higher (all things the same).

Jarrid Gross