Vinyl welding 101

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vinyl welding 101
From: Paul Heuer <paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 12:31:24 +0930
Hi all,
Not strictly Alpine-related, but does anyone have experience with DIY
vinyl welding?

Not invisble mending, but joining two pieces together with a visible
seam. I've been told the process is RF (radio frequency) energy used to
heat the parts. I'm wondering if heat could also be used, and can one
make up a jig to do it at home? My reason for the DIY-approach is that
the job is very fiddly, and the two companies I've approached aren't
really interested. I'm in Australia, so pointers to other companies
probably aren't much help.

Any experiences, warnings, etc welcome. I realise this is a half-baked
idea, but it might just work.
Cheers,
Paul.
S3 Alpine