Re: [6pack] Problem.

To: "'Joseph Grant'" <grant@bowtie6.com>, "'Robert N. Clark'"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Problem.
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:47:23 -0500
Joe & Bob.......I have no problem with someone making a part for their own
use, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I also have absolutely no problem with someone taking a product, improving
it, upgrading it, making it easier to install etc. A great example is Joe
Cannon's emergency hood release that is out in the public domain and can be
made for about $3 or you can buy a much improved, smoother working and
beautiful piece of machining from Francois for significantly more money. Now
if someone takes all of Francois' ideas and "steals" them because they feel
they can sell it cheaper, I have a problem with that. If you want to cobble
one up for yourself that's one thing but to take someone's work and
duplicate it with no attempt at making it better.........that's something
else. A perfect example is Rick Patton's Fan Eliminator Kit. The concept and
design are Rick's, though I do remember someone on the List saying they did
the same thing with a big washer and a big bolt.... Anyhow, Rick's kit has
been outright copied and is being sold on eBay & promoted in the 6-Pack
Vendor area for $5 less than Rick charges. No attempt to improve upon it or
even to make it look different...just copied because it's not a difficult
piece to machine. Sorry, but that's just not right when we're dealing with a
small cottage industry in a fairly tight knit Triumph community. What's
really sad is when a new good idea comes along, like the Trailing Arm Repair
Kit, and Rick's immediate reaction is....."I wonder how long it will take
before someone steals the idea and undercuts me". That's when we all get
hurt because new improved products will stop being produced.

Maybe this accelerator shaft kit will be an easier to install and a much
improved design over Art Lipps, and if that's the case, the market will
decide....as it should.

And BTW....I have no financial interest in any of these products, contrary
to what some people may think.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection