Re: [6pack] body off frame

To: dito9561@bellsouth.net, sumton@sbcglobal.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] body off frame
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 14:50:28 EDT
Generous application of heat is typically a success, for me, on fasteners.

In extreme cases, like removing hubs from rear axles, I use a combination
heat and cold water quench...multiple times, if necessary.  Works for replacing
tapered fitments on ball joints, too.

My guess is that the expansion and contraction breaks the bond between the
two surfaces.

JOE A

> Hi Oliver,
>
> Many body bolts should come out with little hassle.  An air impact wrench is
> a big help if available but not at all necessary.  For those bolts that are
> a bit stubborn apply a generous spray of penetrant then wait a day or so
> before trying again.  It seems that the spare tire hook, the rear fender
> supports from the chassis and floor bolts are the most common problem areas
> for rusted body bolts.
>
> With the engine and tranny removed to lower the clearance and body properly
> braced the body can be lifted off the chassis with two (and preferably
> three) strong individuals.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Greg
> CD6250L