Re: [6pack] oil leak fixes

To: Jim Berg <jberg@bepc.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] oil leak fixes
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:32:07 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Before you go and replace all your seals, take some time and try to figure
out why the engine is leaking. Seals can and do dry out, but most leaks
come from another source - crankcase pressurization. So, you should do a
leakdown test to see if your rings are okay first. Otherwise, you'll
replace the seals and the motor will start leaking in 100 miles. Maybe
less.

As far as the sealing block thing, they used to show up on eBay every now
and then.

But if I was to spend $50 or $100 for a new gizmo for the engine and that
gizmo didn't contribute to the overall health of the engine, I'd be pretty
dissapointed. Rather, spend $50 - $100 for a cheap leakdown guage and find
out why the motor leaks.

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489