RE: [6pack] Moss supercharging question

To: jkorsak@cableone.net (John Korsak)
Subject: RE: [6pack] Moss supercharging question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:31:43 -0700
John (and Jerry)

I called Moss Motors again yesterday to see if there were two versions
of their SC reportings. Recall that the first fellow I talked to on 8/21
said " Moss used only the stock engine". When calling back, I was put in
touch with someone else who "thought" there might be two versions. He
tried to get info from someone else in the tech dept. but each question
I asked then sent him away from the phne to get another answer. Finally
he asked for my phone number and said he'd have the guy with more
experience call me back. (I have yet to hear from him)

My concerns, as you might have guessed, is how Moss deals with the
possible onset of detonation when using the 9.5 CR and eight pounds of
boost. There is no sign (in their catalogue ad) of an intercooler, water
injection, spark retard, knock sensor, or mentioning of racing fuel.
(None of this should be necessary however, with the more modest 6 lb. of
boost and stock compression)  So I'm wondering....

The MSD6-BTM that you added is a nice feature. For those not familiar
with this type of spark control, it allows one to run their spark timing
in an advanced state, like 14 deg. at idle, yet retards the spark
automatically when boost pressure is sensed. (The amount of retard is
easily adjustable)

Dick

From:
jkorsak@cableone.net(John Korsak)

Jerry,
I believe there are two different charts involved here. The first is the
chart for standard Moss kit added to a stock TR6 engine that shows the
torque increased from a maximum of about 105 ft-lbs on the stock engine,
to about 150 ft-lbs on the Moss stock supercharger. This is the chart
shown on the first page with the basic kit.
The second chart shows 175ft-lbs of max torque obtained with the
modified engine and the "big boost kit" (smaller supercharger drive
pulley to increase boost pressure). This chart is shown when clicking on
the "Big boost kit".
I have add Sal Vespertino's supercharger to my completely stock 6 two
years ago and love the performance. It provides on demand power while
sounding and performing like a stock six the majority of the time. This
spring

 I added a MSD ignition system with boost control that I purchased on
Ebay for less than $250.

My total cost for great performance was less than $3,000. I have over
125,000 miles on my 6 and the top end has never been touched. I replaced
the bottom end bearings about 5 years ago to increase my oil pressure. I
have complete confidence in the soundness of my car. I will be driving
it to the Trials in Hershey next month (over 3,000 miles round trip). If
you are there, I would be happy to give you a ride.
John Korsak
74 TR 6
CF25165UO