Re: [6pack] RE: Moss supercharging question

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] RE: Moss supercharging question
From: Mitch <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:03:00 -0400
Hi all,

Interesting topic. I have no revelations to bring to the table other
than the experiences of running an Eaton blower for over five years. The
biggest difference as Stan said, is a motor built with the conventional
performance modifications is under more strain all of it's running
hours. It usually  develops HP/torque at a narrower band at higher RPM.
I  would also disagree that dollar for dollar you would get the same
performance & driveability gains from a normally aspirated motor
spending the same dollars.

My motor is built using stock rotating parts. .030 over Hepoplite
pistons, stock rods & crank (lightened & balanced). I paid special
attention to balancing & tolerances but it's all original Triumph stuff.
I have no experience with the Moss kit other than what I've seen & read
but it looks OK if not a little over engineered. I think the disassembly
required could have been better thought out. The pulley mounting
hardware is a little over done. My system is the VIS (Vintage Induction
System) , very similar to the kit Sal Vespitino produces & he used the
VIS kit  as a model.

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that you could spend $2500.00 for
his kit or the same on conventional methods with the same performance
results & durability. I know the Moss kit is even more money but I still
think the bang for the buck is better. This assumes your are starting
with a sound motor. If a rebuild is in order pretty much the same cost
applies to both methods.

One thing we all have to remember as far as damper pulley's & blowers
go,  is that most of our cars intended use is for the street. A little
fun on the street, a local autoX, a stop light run or two, maybe toy
with a Honda, but all intermittent. I would not recommend a blower for a
road course. I don't think this motor would hold up under continuous
boost lap after lap. That's where more conventional methods that develop
HP at high usable rpm's are best suited.

Engine swaps are a whole other topic. I have nothing against them and
have been tempted many times but the challenge is making old junk go
faster that gives me  a charge.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.