Engine upgrade vs supercharging

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine upgrade vs supercharging
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:32:04 -0400
In the past we have discussed the pros and cons of engine tuning for fast
street use via new cam, 9.5:1 compression etc vs just bolting on a
supercharger. It seems that the cost for both is about the same when you
factor in the cost of parts and machining of the traditionally tweaked engine
vs the cost of the Supercharger (ie in the $3500 to $4000 range) for an
equivalent increase in HP.

My question is whether this is really an either/or question or is there a
hybrid solution where the engine is upgraded with cam/head and then the
supercharger is added for additional power. My reasoning is that even if the
end goal is to supercharge, the base engine has to be in good condition so if
you are going to all the trouble of pulling it out, refurbing it with new
bearings and possibly more (pistons, rings etc) then why not upgrade it at the
same time as long as you don't exceed any limits that the supercharger may
impose (eg the compression ratio). Cost can be mitigated by a phased
implementation, mild tune to start with, add supercharger later when cash flow
allows.

Thoughts ?

Stan