Front Suspension

To: "6-Pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Suspension
From: "Robert Breazeale" <robertbreazeale@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:18:56 -0700
I am in the middle of a front suspension rebuild on my 250 and have some
questions for the list.  I have completed the right side.  My concerns
are over the fact that there is some visible negative camber (I would
guess 2-3 degrees).

Some facts:

1. Car is 1968 TR250

2. Before the rebuild there was significant visible negative camber, it
is much better now than it was before.

3. I have taken care not to mix up the upper A-arms, the one with the
greatest curve is the one towards the front.

4. There were no shims on the lower A-arms, and I have not added any.

5. Complete rebuild with all new parts.

6. Bushings are Goodparts.

7. I am using springs that were purchased by the previous owner, they
are the competition springs from TRF.

8. There is no apparent frame damage.  Lower mounts have been gusseted
to the frame for the extra strength.

9. With the car still on the Jack stands, placing a large square against
the garage floor and against the rotor, the camber was essentially dead
on zero degrees (that is, it was square with the floor).  I would have
expected a slight bit of positive camber on the jack stands.

Questions:

1. Would the competition springs, which are about 3/4 of an inch shorter
than stock, cause the negative camber?

2. Could it be that there are different springs for the TR250 than for
the TR6?

3. Could I have frame issues?

4. Does the height of the tire affect camber?   They are stock tires.

5. Because the suspension was in such bad shape before hand, the right
front tire was severely warn on the inside tread. Could it be that since
I'm still using this tire, its causing the negative camber when the
weight of the car is on it?

6. Is this merely because I've rebuilt the right side, but not the left
side yet?

Any suggestions and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, - Robert -