Overdrive trouble

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive trouble
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 01:40:45 -0400
Hello All,

The overdrive rebuilt and installed in my car last year is acting up. And I
must admit that I have really beat on it and the failure is most likely due
to my something I did. It is a J-type overdrive from a turbo Volvo. The car
is fuel injected and supercharged with horsepower somewhere in the two
hundred area. Some fool has been power shifting at redline into second gear
only to feel the overdrive kick in. Drat! I keep forgetting to flip that
switch, so a day late and a dollar short, have ordered a J-type controller
from Tim at: tl_walker@tesco.net

The new controller drops out the overdrive between shifts but in the
meantime I have a damaged overdrive.

The symptoms: although it sounds like it shifts, there is virtually no
difference in engine speed. Also when slowing down it will almost lock up
for an instant. Then it also stutters even when not engaged at 55 to 60 mph
with a bad vibration. The transmission is filled with SAE 30 nondetergent
oil that has changed to black, a color the same as the clutch lining within
the overdrive.

Any hints? The one way roller clutch? The planetary gear set? And can I
continue to drive it as long as it isn't run in overdrive? I have changed
the oil, cleaned the filter screen, and swapped out the solenoid.

thanks so much

Rick Patton
I will behave, I will behave, I will behave, I don't think so
http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/