RE: Flywheel question

To: "Mike Lunsford" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Flywheel question
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 01:28:13 -0400
Mike,

I'm with Vance on this and hoping that just .010" was cut from the face. I
personally grind about a dozen flywheels a week and most passenger cars are
cut from .005 to .040". Big trucks can be cut as much as .125" but even on a
Mack truck that is huge. We use shims between the flywheel and crankshaft to
make up the difference. Passenger car and light truck shims are .025 and
.050".

Grind too much and the clutch pedal will grab right at the floor with most
hydraulic clutches. Dick says you are Ok cutting the TR6 back that much and
I have never tried it on a TR6. He may well be right as the slave cylinder
on a 6 has a pretty long bore.

If it has actually been cut 0.100", I believe a work around is to place a
shim- not behind the flywheel, but under the throw out bearing on it's
carrier. It will move the bearing closer to the flywheel. That way the lever
on the end of the clutch shaft would be back in it's original position. Pop
the bearing off the carrier, slip on a ring that is 0.100" thick, and press
the bearing back on using Permatex Sleeve Retainer for good measure.

The other solution is to go to an internal slave cylinder that sits right on
the quill of the transmission. Even then I would be sure there is enough
travel to disengage the clutch. I'm considering that upgrade for my car
along with a performance 7" clutch when the transmission gets pulled to
change speedo gears in the overdrive.

Rick Patton
http://sidedrafttbi.com/

snip-