Help! Leaking Coolant.

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Leaking Coolant.
From: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:50:26 -0400
I went in the garage this afternoon to prep some more stuff for paint on my
76.  I saw some coolant on the floor. It is seeping some coolant toward the
rear head (at the seam between the head and the block).  There is also a
trace amount of coolant in the oil sump.  I don't think it is burning any
coolant because there is no white smoke out of the exhaust.  A couple of
weeks ago when I first started the engine after the rebuild the engine
overheated because of an air pocket in the cooling system.  I did a
compression test and all the cylinders showed the same low compression of
60PSI.  I know on the later model engines it is the orientation of the head
gasket is important.  I put the head gasket on with the tab toward the rear
of the engine which I believe is correct.  How do I determine if the head is
warped or cracked?  And also is it possible that the block is cracked?
Thanks for your help!
Cary Henry