Basic Lockup?

To: "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Basic Lockup?
From: "glc/crc@13 Fairway" <glccrc@ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:29:48 -0400
Whizzing home after letting my daughter drive the 6 (with new suspension &
tires) while home on her escape from NYC, the car locked up while heading
over a hill and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.  Could go forward or backward
about 5', certainly not enough to get out of the middle of the road.

Onlooker brings tow dolly, and while trying to back up onto it(within the
short transit distance) I smoked 'em in reverse trying to get on the ramp,
and - voila- it was freed up and I drove it home- at about 30. Car ran,
steered, stopped and shifted normally on the 3 mile trip home.  Maybe
shouldn't have told the redhead?

anyway, tire marks distinctly indicate both rear wheels locked up at same
time- I think since the car felt dragged, it wasn't the front.

Any ideas, Sherlocks? Besides blaming it on the kid?

George Church
'70 6 with OD which wasn't engaged, and can be driven in all gears if you're
not paying attention.