timing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: timing
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:22:39 EDT
I know this has been beaten to death, but...what should the timing be at idle
(850rpms) with both the vaccum advance and retard plugged at the distributor.
 I've tried to set the timing using a light, but I'm having some real
problems.  I can't even begin to approach the correct settings.   Using a
timing
light, the numbers are way off...I wonder if I've installed the the electical
eye
on my electronic ignition incorrectly.  I've also considered that the two
pieces of the harmonic balancer have moved, thus giving me incorrect numbers.
I've
resorted to the old fashioned method.  I've adjusted the timing by retarding
the timing a little just at the point that the motor begins to ping under
load.  The car runs well this way, but given the performance mods I've made, I
was
hoping for more power...thus my attempts to optimize the timing issue.  When
the distributor is set for the best performance, the car "runs on"
occasionally, and the starter sometimes hesitates momentarily when I start the
car from
cold.  I assume this is a symptom of too much advance?  If I retard it
slightly, these two problems go away, but performance suffers, especially at
high
rpms.  I don't want to put a hole in a piston, or hammer any bearings.  I
understand that pre-ignition can occur with little warning signs.  Any
suggestions?
The car is a 71 with 9.5:1 compression, roller rockers, GP2 cam, headers and
XR700 ignition.  Did I say that neither the vacuum advance nor retard work?
Joe Davis