Re: Headlights

To: Kevin McNelis <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headlights
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:06:03 -0500
At 5:14 PM -0700 11/3/05, Kevin McNelis wrote:
>My headlights are rather romantic-  kind of like a candlelight dinner.
>That's about how much light they put out-  about 1 foot-candle each side.  I
>know, real gentlemen don't drive after dark.  But, I would like to switch to
>a nice white halogen bulb (not the rice-rocket blue, thanks anyway).  Can
>someone suggest a kit to convert to halogen?  I don't want to go for the
>$500 HID things, I just want some better lights to replace the sealed-beams
>that are there.

There are sealed-beam halogen units available from most auto parts
places. They'll be brighter than what you have now.

The best change would be to go to replaceable bulb conversion units.
Cibie and Hella both make excellent conversion lamps that use H4
bulbs. They draw no more current than your present tungsten lamps,
but put out more light. The biggest change you'll notice is the beam
pattern with these lamps. It is very sharply defined and the light is
where it needs to be and nowhere else. If you want even more light
you can put higher output bulbs in, up to 100W on the high beam
filament. I've used them for 30 years and wouldn't have anything else.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (28 year owner)