Electronic Ignition

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>
Subject: Electronic Ignition
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 21:17:54 -0400
Hi Michael,

Electronic ignition is supposed to be a "set it and forget it" solution.  No
doubt many folks have gone this way and have had good results. It probably
is true that the points / condensor system has more moving parts and is
therefore less reliable.  Folks have documeted a number of quality issues
with condensors in the past. If you race or run your car at high rpms,  you
may also have concerns about "point float". I think that electronic ignition
will correct these issues.

On the other hand, the TR6 distributor tends to wear out rapidly causing
timing difficulties every 35K or so.  If you change the timing to electronic
and you change to a Mallory distributor, you should defintiely have a more
modern, reliable set-up. If you are running okay now with what you have I
would seriously question making a change. If everything is okay, you might
need to check the timeing and change out the points and condensor 1 or 2X
per year at most.  You will need :

a.) a timimg light
b.) feeler guage
c.) dwell meter