Slop in New Wire wheel and notes on Adjustable TA brackets

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slop in New Wire wheel and notes on Adjustable TA brackets
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:27:28 -0500
 I know I've read this somewhere on installing wire wheels, but since I don't
recall if this has been done every time when reinstalling my wires a reminder
to others with wires might be good. After looking at a 76 TR and pulling on
the wheels to check for sloppiness, it was noticed that this TR felt tighter
in the rear end than my freshly restored TR. So I immediately blamed the one
rear hub which wasn't rebuilt.

 Upon closer inspection a few things were noticed:
    1) There was very slight movement between the brake drum and backing
plate, but not that much,
    2) new wires and hubs had slight movement on them more that what in my
"professional" opinion was acceptable,
    3) the inner most adjustable bracket (Richard Good's), moved fairly easily
between the bushings and TA brackets. The outer ones moved also.

 Causes for : 1) wear in the rear hub, but acceptable
                  2) Wire wheel was tighten lightly with a lead hammer when
off the ground, then snugged up when on the ground, by doing this it didn't
completely seat to the hub. This could cause premature spline wear on the hub
and wheel or wheel loss. The best way for the rear was to apply the emergency
brake (if it works) then tighten the knock off with a lead hammer. The wheels
are nice and snug now. Ok that's in a manual somewhere!!
                3) TA bracket bolt which go through the TA bushings weren't
tighten enough to pull the metal brackets in tight to the bushing and metal
spacer. I hadn't thought about this since a professional shop was paid to
align the rear end and he didn't tighten it up enough to pull the brackets in
tight to the bushings and spacers so there would be no movement.

 Most of you probably know about tightening of wires, but check your
Adjustable TA brackets to get rid of the slop. Note I was a little worried
about tightening to much and stripping the nylock nut.
 I sent Richard a note on the TA brackets, since he might want to be aware of
my experience.

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com<mailto:RSH17@msn.com>
View My 1969 TR6 restoration @