Re: I am afraid....

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I am afraid....
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:55:20 -0700
Kevin---There are not many yellow metals in the engine that could mix
with the oil. Some types of valve guides, which are not likely to
deteriorate into what you saw.
Thrust washers are made from steel, with a white metal face.  (Unless
you know them to be a special blend from an aftermarket source)

Beats me, partner. It certainly isn't normal. Without doing a teardown,
about the only thing I can suggest is to do an engine leak-down test. If
all is OK, watch the oil pressure and do another oil and filter
change.... sooner than usual!

Dick

 Kevin wrote:
Subject: I am afraid- I am very afraid
Did an oil change today. I use a spin-on adapter and a good Fram filter-
the X2 (XG 3614) and Castrol 20w-50.
Drained the oil, didn't look too bad. Took off the filter, turned it
holes down to drain. When I went back to look to see if it had drained
out, I saw a "trail" from the filter to the drain of the catch basin of
very fine metalic dust- it was yellow, looked like brass.
What it is? What it was? Normal? Something need attention? Was it the
remains of a thrust washer (heaven forbid). Suggestions are welcome!
Kevin