Re: Fan Belt removal

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Fan Belt removal
From: Brian Yarborough <bytr6@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:27:29 -0400
on 5/22/05 2:32 AM, Sally or Dick Taylor at tr6taylor@webtv.net wrote:

> Brian---Triumph engineering did not design it so the fan belt could not
> come out freely. Altho the early TR had the 3/8" belt width to make the
> belt change easier, the 1/2 inch belt you probably have should also come
> out. The problem most likely comes from sagging motor mounts.  To get
> the belt changed this time, try a this:
>
> Turn the belt on its edge, which could be  thinner than its width.
>
> Add liquid soap to the areas where the belt is going to pass thru.
>
> Use a long lever to bar the engine rearward as you pull the belt up and
> out.
>
> There are other gimmicks that can be used, but require more more work.
>
> New motor mounts gave me 9/16 inch of belt clearance between the pulley
> and the cross bar. Consider this the next time your engine is down.
>
> Dick Taylor
>

>From the replies so far it would seem that the mounts are shot. :( As usual,
I start with one thing, redoing the carbs, and end up with 10. I just wanted
to drive the darn thing in our amazing Hudson Valley Spring, top down, get
the wife out in the sun (so that she remembers why we've spent so much time
and $ on a 29 year old car). I'm going to try to lever the lump out of the
way enough to get the belt past the rack, I'll take out the cross brace,
clean, blast and paint it.
I just want to get this thing running well enough to be in prime shape to go
to Lime Rock, CT and see the ALMS race in July. Is anyone from the list
going? I'd love to meet some of the names I see on this list.
Brian Yarborough
1976 TR-6
CF55886UO