Spin on oil filter removal

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spin on oil filter removal
From: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:41:29 -0400
Last spring I finally got fed up with the old canister type oil filter
on my TR6 and replaced it with a spin-on filter adapter from the
Roadster Factory.  Installing it was a bit of a challenge but, with the
help of the people on this list I got it installed by removing the
clutch slave, installing the filter adapter slightly tilted towards the
front of the engine and then reinstalling the clutch slave.  After that,
I spun an oil filter on to my nice new new adapter and happily
pronounced that I would never have to bruise my knuckles trying to
change a filter again.

Now, this year, I found that I can't get an oil filter wrench (at least
any of the ones I have) onto the filter in order to change it.  I can
barely get my hand around the filter from below but, of course, without
a wrench I can't budge it.

Any ideas on how to get the old filter off so I can put a new one on
this year?

Thanks

Phil

Phil Beckman