Re: Paint or Powdercoat

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint or Powdercoat
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:11:46 -0500
Can't remember if I replied to this or not.

I did the same thing John did. Bead blasted and then POR-15 with semi-gloss
followed by POR-15
Chassis Coat Black. I don't think the Chassis Coat Black is a rust encapsulator
in the same way that
POR-15 is -- at least that's what the POR-15 folks want you to think. Maybe
they just want to sell
you both -- not sure.

The Chassis Coat Black is a very full bodied paint and a couple of coats looks
a lot like powder
coat in my opinion.

My guess is that powder coat is a more durable finish, but I'm not sure it's a
rust encapsulator --
maybe it is -- I just don't know.

Even with bead blasting on some of the rougher surfaces like cast iron engine
parts I couldn't get
all the rust out of the pits, and after a couple of days you could see the rust
was coming back. So
in my opinion a rust encapsulator is important. Again, maybe powder coat is a
rust encapsulator.

In the bushing holes, I used only a thin coat of POR-15 applied with an artist
brush. I did not use
the Chassis Coat because it can be too thick and make installing the bushings
troublesome.

Don Malling