Re: Window crank removal

To: Russ & Sandy <bungs4@wpia.net>, 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Window crank removal
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:29:54 -0500
Russell,

Nasty little buggers aren't they?

Here's what I do. Cut a 3/8" slice off a 1 1/4" PVC pipe. Take that ring and
cut about 1/4 of the circumference away so that you have a C shaped tool.
Slide this between the door panel and the plastic escutcheon. You can now
use a light to see the pin. Place a straightened length of coat hanger wire
against the pin and apply light to moderate pressure while also pressing the
handle in. The pin will drop right out.

The other, more difficult, problem is reassembly. I like to hold the pin
with a pair of hemostats and guide it in using the PVC C from above. Dick
Taylor has another way that I've not tried, but sounds efficient as well.

Good luck.

Peter
'68 TR250