RE: oil cooler thermostat

To: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: oil cooler thermostat
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:26:03 -0800
        Greg:

        I am not speaking from personal experience here, so please bear
with me.

        I *THOUGHT* that the thermostat was not just for warming up the
oil,
but also to make sure it didn't get *TOO COOL*. Motor oil has an optimum
operating temperature range, for both lubricity and viscosity. If the
oil is
too cool, the lubricity is lower and wear is accelerated. Also, if the
oil
is not fully warmed up, moisture tends to accumulate and form acids,
which
also accelerate engine wear. If your oil cooler is properly designed, it
will have a surplus of cooling capacity and will tend to over cool the
oil
under most circumstances. A thermostat therefore becomes desirable
unless
you are racing and the engine will only be used under maximum load.
        If memory serves, the optimum operating temperature is 225-250F,
but
my memory is notoriously unreliable. If you don't run a thermostat, the
oil might not reach optimum temperature, especially in cold climates. At
least, this is what I recall. If nothing else, Roger Williams strongly
recommends a thermostat in his book on restoring the TR6.

        So, has my memory done it to me yet again, or is this a
consideration?

        Cheers,

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom