RE: leaking valve cover

To: "Ian Breyer" <IBreyer@fw1.Hartynet.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: leaking valve cover
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:22:00 -0700
        Ian:

1. Is your breather system (emissions) intact? The engine is designed to
have a vented crankcase that dumps blow by into the carbs where it is
burned. If this has been capped off, or altered, the crankcase may be
operating with positive pressure from ring blow-by. This would force
oil vapor out of the hole. Make sure your crankcase ventilation system
is intact and not clogged. Plugging the hole might help, but if you
have a problem elsewhere, this would probably result in a leak somewhere
else as the pressure would need to go SOMEWHERE. It is also possible
that you have excessive blow by, and your crankcase ventilation system
simply cannot handle it, hence the leakage.
        You could try plugging the hole, and then drilling out the rivet
if
the results are unsatisfactory. Kludges like a rivet have a way of not
working out, however.

2. DOT5 fluid is amazingly controversial. It seems that those people
who use it have had good results if they are careful when they convert.
(purge the DOT4 thoroughly, repair any worn seals, etc). There are lots
of stories about failures attributable to DOT5 when used with seals
designed for DOT4, but there are also success stories about converting.
If I spent $3,000 on a paint job, I would be very motivated to try DOT5.

3. You can certainly look for spares on the list. eBay is a decent
place,
but if you don't want to mess with bidding, waiting, etc, you can try
my favorite place, British Auto Works. They run a salvage operation
and can get you a used one at a good price. www.britishautoworks.com.
They respond to emails, and do lots of internet business. NFI, etc.

        Cheers,

        Vance